Tuesday, December 27, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

'Tis the season to start new year's resolutions. As a former personal trainer, I can't help but cheer on my patients as they begin a new diet or exercise regime. But as a Chiropractic Physician, I want people to start with this big distinction in their mind: being thinner does not always equate with being healthier.


A year ago, I had my bodyfat tested. At the time I had about 12% bodyfat. This is considered healthy by any standard, and certainly below average for the general population. I was also 210lbs, which by some standards is considered obese for a 5'9" male. So which am I? Healthy or obese?

My advice: focus on eating healthy and exercising, rather than acheiving a number that someone has deemed "ideal weight" for you. Change your habits first, and your health will improve. When your health improves, so will your self-image, wether or not your weight changes. As you begin to re-asses and plan new strategies for the new and improved version of you, please keep in mind that healthy people can come in many sizes.

Healthy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment